Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A Clump Of Granite

The fifth piece but the first in jersey and a plain fabric.

It's for my pal Mommy Noi-noi who's mad about grey marle.

This is the source...

...a ratty 5-year-old bed-going cami that has seen better days.

I don't know if I'd work with any stretchy fabric again for The Empress Dowager's New Jewels. It's just too soft - I had to double-layer it to shape the "stones" and that still didn't help its lack of shape-holding property.

But a single-tone fabric allows the necklace to be worn reversed without making anyone dizzy like a printed one would with its mish-mash of colours on top of the fussy pleats.

I really like the raw "granite"-ness of this piece.

Also like the fact that I've used up every bit of my old cami right down to the straps. Wonder if there's anything else in the wardrobe that I can recycle...

Edit-to-add: See the "jewels" on their new mistress here.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

:O wow since when did you make jewellery?
okay don't worry about answering that question.
just set up an etsy store pronto!

The Likkle Girl Who Wurves Pwetty Things said...

Hey Dreamer,
Haha! I'll answer that question - I've always dabbled with artsy-crafty things and have a thousand-and-one ideas in my head all the time. Just never had the time to try them all out with the day-job and all.

I did start an etsy store, quite a while ago, trying to sell my older "ideas" but I have not decided if I want to put these on. Besides, I have to have enough stock first. Haha! Maybe when I am finished with gifts for friends. You will be the first to know!

And thank you for stopping by to view The Empress Dowager's New Jewels! xx

The Likkle Girl Who Wurves Pwetty Things said...

Thank you, Chou! x

Personalshopper said...

i wurve this! irene's so lucky! :) wurve the 'reversed' long version of the granite gemmies.

beijos!

The Likkle Girl Who Wurves Pwetty Things said...

Hey Poochie,
I hope she loves it too. x

Unknown said...

wooww reversible how adorable!
anyhow can i noe whut u put in, the circles? acrylic pieces or sth?

The Likkle Girl Who Wurves Pwetty Things said...

Hello Elizabeth,
Thank you for dropping by.

I don't put anything within the circles - most of the Marimekko fabric that I use hold their shape well enough.