Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A Cluster Of Jade Greenery

#17.

Kind of a back-to-my-roots piece - using Marimekko fabric and green "gems" again! And revisiting the "setting" of the first piece that I've ever made. It feels good!

I've been missing the look and feel of my early pieces and my pal Poochie (the President of The Empress Dowager's New Jewels Fanclub, if the was one) said that she did too.

Not that there's anything wrong with the more over-the-top pieces (she owns one herself) but we both felt that it's time these simple but chunkily loud cotton numbers made a come-back.

It's nice to be working with green, one of my favourite colours, again.

The darker top layer of the necklace is made from this - Tuuli, by one of my favourite Marimekko designing teams and first printed in 1971.

The three lighter "gems" at the bottom are cut from this - Heina, again by Maija and Kristina Isola, first printed in 1957.

I like how two different pieces of their work merge so seamlessly into one necklace.


Product Information:
4All pieces are 100% handstitched with loads of love
4Each piece is a one-off - no two pieces of The Empress Dowager's New Jewels are the same
4The larger "gems" measure 4.5cm in diameter and the smaller ones are 2,5cm
4From the first "gem" on the left to the last one on the right: 28cm
4Length of ribbon-tie: 39cm on each side

*No longer available*

No comments: