Friday, January 8, 2010

A Clump Of Striped Marble

#103. A commissioned piece.

The first piece of The Empress Dowager's New Jewels that I made in the New Year.

For a lovely girl called Anne. She wrote me just before Christmas to ask if I would make her #16 - A Clump Of Marble.

I said that every piece of The Empress Dowager's New Jewels is a one-off and that I do not repeat designs but I can make her something with a similar look and feel from a different fabric if she liked.

She did! And a long and very enjoyable game of email ping-pong followed.

Anne works in advertising and I used to too so we both know the importance of a good brief complete with pictures for reference and all.

These look-and-feel images came in one of her earlier emails. Anne loves nude-y neutrals as much as I do! Yay!

And I sent her these fabric swatches back...

...a linen

...and a seersucker. (How scroogey is the girl at the fabric shop?!)

Anne picked the seersucker, I started sewing and she received her New Jewels yesterday!

She happily wrote to say that they go with everything in her wardrobe. Even her boyfriend loves them! And is already thinking of her next commissioned piece.

I am looking forward to it because she's a delight to work with - she trusted me enough to let me do my thing.

Thank you, Anne! xx

No comments: