Friday, January 8, 2010

Before We Move On To Newer Things...

...here's one last bit from last year.

Feast - a celebration of the predetermined as well as the gloriously spontaneous moments that happen around the Christmas feasting table.

Image by Zoe Brand


An exhibition of contemporary jewellery and objects that curator Zoe Brand of Studio 20/17 so kindly invited me to show at.

We were there for the opening and boy, it sure felt great to have my work shown alongside those by makers that I've longed admired.

Every piece of theirs I saw was amazing and it made me wonder how my naive work ended up next to theirs.

Maybe I really am a great swindler with my Empress Dowager's New Jewels. Like those charlatans in Hans Christian Andersen's The Emperor's New Clothes. Haha!

These are the three "dishes" that I contribution to the "potluck".

Commemorative Bibs - Remembering My First Aussie Backyard Christmas

I made them specially for the show from fabric I handprinted myself with illustrations provided by my pal Selina of Paperocket.

This is what they are about:
"Ironically, thanks to children’s storybooks and the media, the only kind of Christmas I was aware of when growing up in tropical Singapore was of the snowy white Northern Hemisphere variety, celebrated by eating the traditional turkey and drinking eggnog – meals not made to be consumed in the island’s humid heat.

On my first holiday to Sydney one teenage summer, I discovered a whole new (and weather-appropriate) way of making merry for the “feast”-ive season – the all-day backyard barbeque!


These Commemorative Bibs, fashioned from textiles hand-printed with motifs not unlike those on souvenir tea-towels (another Aussie thing!), celebrate that wonderful discovery…all-day free-flow of chilled alcoholic beverages, the smoky aroma from the barbie and loads of fresh produce. Happy Christmas!"



Commemorative Bib #1: “EntrĂ©e: All-Day Cheeky Drinkie-poos”

Fabric used

The finished piece


Commemorative Bib #2: “Main Course: Succulent Prawns On The Barbie”

Fabric used

The finished piece


Commemorative Bib #3: “Dessert: Juicy Cherries From The Box”

Fabric used

The finished piece

A very late Merry Christmas Aussie-style to you! xx

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great resource!

The Likkle Girl Who Wurves Pwetty Things said...

Thank you, Anonymous. x

Selina said...

oh it feels so weird looking at my drawings. I'm almost embarrassed.

I'm growing to like the necklaces more and more after staring hard at them...haha I'm just being 'anal' with my own drawings. you sewn them together so well! : )

Great post!
xo

The Likkle Girl Who Wurves Pwetty Things said...

Hey Nah-nah!
Don't be! If there's anyone who should be, it's me. My work looked so "young" and naive next to those by the other makers. xx