Monday, March 30, 2009

Golden Dragon On A Cloud Of Pearls (Sold)

#12 - Golden Dragon On A Cloud Of Pearls.

A piece so Oriental that I'm sure Empress Dowager Cixi (the "Empress Dowager" in The Empress Dowager's New Jewels) will approve.

She might like how I've worn it with a vintage kimono for added Orientalism too.

It's pretty obvious how this piece got its name - Golden Dragon from the exquisite piece of scale-y blue and gold brocade, and Cloud Of Pearls from the slightly iridescent Japanese cloud-print silk. The stitches that join the "gems" are in "gold" to match the scales.

They are not my usual Marimekko fabric but they are equally special. Maybe even more because I've used up whatever I have of both and I don't think I'll be able to find them again.

I like how both the piece and its name conjure up images of some high-flying sword-wielding Chinese maiden in a kung-fu flick but it looks great with Western garb too.

SOLD!

No comments: